Penile injection therapy is another option for men dealing with erectile dysfunction when medications, such as Viagra, Cialis, or Levitra, do not work. The medication is placed directly into the side of the penis with a tiny needle. Some men experience pain or bruising, while others experience none at all. The first injection is done in the office so we can show you how to do it at home. It also helps us determine the medication dosage you will need. Although the idea of injecting something into your penis may sound unappealing, about 70% of men are highly satisfied with this therapy. For others, it is not a good long-term option and that is when they consider the penile implant.
- May inject 3 times per week, alternating sides, with 24 hours between injections.
- Start with 15 units unless otherwise instructed. May increase by 5 units each time until desired effect is achieved.
- Inject at 90 degrees, close to the base of the penis.
- Inject while sitting or standing. Hold pressure at injection site for 2 minutes.
- Keep medicine in the refrigerator.
- May pre-load syringes and keep them in the freezer once you know what dose works for you.
- Replace medicine every 3 months.
- If you have an erection that lasts more than 3 hours, go to the emergency room.
- If you are using 50 units and not getting an adequate erection, call and we will prescribe a stronger formulation.
- Return to clinic in 3 months.
- Call with questions: